Place des Vosges, originally named Place Royale, was renamed Place des Fédérés in August 19, 1792; then Place de l'Indivisibilité, July 4, 1793; Place des Vosges, 26 Fructidor Year VIII; Place Royale, 27 April 1814; Place des Vosges, March 14, 1848; and Place Royale, from 1852 to 1870. The area north of the central park area, called rue des Vosges. The name Place des Vosges was originally chosen in 1800 because the Vosges ‘departement’ was the first to pay all of its taxes. Victor Hugo lived at 6 Place des Vosges for over fifteen years.
It is one of the most beautiful squares in modern Paris, and is today home to many artists and galleries.